Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Doc's Gadget Website Advice

I received an email at the weekend, not that unusual, this one was different:

Hi Doc,

Just a quick email, I'm currently in the process of starting my own gadgets website. I have been researching other gadget companies and came across yours tonight.

I was amused to read your story of how you got to where you are today because it's pretty much the same thing as me, babies!! our first is due today (but holding on still...) and my fiancée is hassling me about giving up work and focussing all of my sales and marketing experience into our website.

I would really appreciate any pointers you could give to help me avoid some of the common mistakes, I never anticipated just how much work this would take and I don't think anyone really understands, they all think I sit at my PC playing games all night lol!!

I really appreciate your time and hope you have continued success for many years to come and that neither of us ever need go near an office again!

Cheers,

Martin

-----------

Hi Martin,

Nice to hear from you, I will have to make this short as I have loads to do, but...

1/ Spend as much time with your family as possible, and make sure they know that when you are busy to be left alone. That way you can get whatever it is done quicker, to spend time with them.
Have a cut off point, like mine 7am get the girls washed, dressed, fed, out the door. 9am get to work, though if the girls are sorted, it can be as early as 8am to 5pm at the post office and finished. Time for family. Chat, play watch Cbeebies. Get them to bed, read stories, they're asleep. Get more work done, usually on the website, adding products, tweaking this, answering emails from the States, completing orders. This goes on till 10 or 11 every night. No one else is going to do it.

2/ Don't give anyone credit, and if they want samples, let them pay for it. You're not a charity. Useless you have very deep pockets or the backing of a friendly bank manager, then go for it..

3/ Conversely, try to be generous with needy causes, but without hurting your pocket.

4/ Prices wars, don't do it. You don't know how little your competition is paying for the product, or how much they are losing. Work out your bottom line and never go under it, unless you want to pay for it later.

5/ Content sells, the more information you can give, the more likely they will buy, you have answered all the questions.

6/ Transparency, let your customers know all about you, you are the business and they are giving you their money, let them know who you are.

7/ Be contactable, even when it is unreasonable. You will only get the odd weirdo calling you at 3am, but usually they have a big order and tell all their friends.

8/ Don't waste money on Paper Advertising, magazines etc.., or anyone who claims they can get you at the top of the search engine listings. Bollocks, they lie and you will pay through the nose for it. You need content, lots of information about the product will be picked up by the search engines. But do not Spam. (Think of the Python Song, how repetitive and annoying. That's what Web Spiders think of overused keywords and will cut you off in the blink of an eye)

9/ Sell what you love and know what you sell. Don't stock it just because someone says it's a winner, if you are not sure, forget it and move on. You will be stuck with it. If you love it, sell it. If you hate it, let your competition try to sell it.

10/ Be a man of your word (even though deep down you wish the complainers and moaners would just go away), if you said you will refund, replace, exchange whatever, just do it, and with a big smile, and sometimes give them extra. You will feel good doing it and they will spread the word. Even the ones who are taking the piss will be amazed.

11/ Always send by Recorded Delivery Or Special Delivery, NEVER just stick it in the post. It may get there, it may be abducted by aliens. The customer may forget to mention that it has arrived and may ask you to send another. You have no proof of delivery, you may as well bend over in the park at night time with your pants down.

12/ Stick your company name and your address on everything you send.

13/ What, there is more? Yep...

14/ Freephone numbers are great, customers are very happy to call you and chat all day long about lots of interesting things. Try to be sweet, and keep it as short as possible, the call costs YOU money, and time is defiantly not free.

15/ Damned Excuses, I hate them with a passion. I am not interested in why you are late, why the product is damaged, who is to blame, JUST FIX IT. NOW. If you think an excuse is about to fall from your gob, stop it and say: "I am at Fault here, what would you like me to do to correct the situation?" OR "I'm wrong, I will make this right, and fast. Please forgive me, I am a Pleb"

16/ Get as much sleep as you can, but never more than 8 hours, or you will get stressed that there are not enough hours in the day to do what you need to do.

17/ Make sure everyone can see your website, not just users of a certain browser. And Keep It Simple Stupid K.I.S.S

and there is much more, but I will save the juicy stuff for my book.

Thinking of starting a business? Do your research & learn from the professionals and be prepared to work VERY, VERY Long Hours.

Good luck, Doc.

No comments: